Pacific Dental Services
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Registered Dental Assistant Extended Functions
at Pacific Dental Services
- Requisition ID
- Dental Assistant
- Location : External Name
- Blue Springs Dentistry and Orthodontics
Registered Dental Assistants – Extended Function perform a variety of patient care, office, and laboratory duties. The primary role of the Registered Dental Assistant Extended Function (RDA-EF) is to assist the dentist in gaining the patient’s commitment to the best possible treatment, with urgency. Key duties associated with assisting the dentist in starting treatment include: utilizing x-ray time to promote the good qualities of the dentist, learning the patient’s expectations while educating them with intra-oral pictures, using effective and anticipatory chair-side skills, and effectively supporting the dentist’s diagnosis after the examination when the patient asks questions. The RDA-EF should abide by procedures needed for compliance with state and federal safety regulation, infection control, and permitted duties.
- The primary role of the Registered Dental Assistant Extended Function (RDA-EF) is to assist the dentist as necessary to gain the patient’s commitment for the best possible treatment with urgency.
- Perform functions in accordance with the applicable state’s Dental Auxiliaries Table of Permitted Duties.
- Actively participate in attempting to achieve the Perfect Patient Experience® by striving to keep your patients focused on the best possible treatment with urgency.
- Attend to the patient’s individual concerns and expectations.
- Promote the good qualities of your doctor.
- Maintain a clean, sterile, and cheerful environment where your patients feel comfortable; prepare patients for treatment, and assist the doctors - thereby enabling them to provide efficient, quality dental treatment.
- At the direction of the dentist, obtain dental history and/or records from patient (review patient health history and careslips).
- At the direction of the dentist, complete x-rays and intra-oral pictures of patients as appropriate.
- Prepare tray setups for dental procedures.
- Present instruments and materials to dentists and keep patients' mouths dry and clear by using suction or other devices.
- At the direction of the dentist, instruct patients on postoperative and general oral health care.
- At the direction of the dentist, record patient charting and all doctor notes on treatment record.
- Escort patients to/from the front desk and introduce them to the Continuing Care Clerk.
- Sterilize and disinfect instruments, equipment, and operatories in accordance with the American Dental Association guidelines.
- Maintain adequate supply levels in each operatory, replenishing as needed.
- Maintain an appropriate professional appearance and demeanor in accordance with Company policy.
- Maintain strict compliance with State, Federal, and other regulations, (e.g., OSHA, WC, Dental Board, HIPAA, ADA, FEHA, DOL, HR policies and practices).
- Participate in meetings as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- REQUIRED: Equivalent to high school diploma or general education degree (GED), and specified training courses as mandated by state for certification, licensure, or registration.
- DESIRABLE: Associate degree or one-year certificate from an accredited college or technical school, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- As mandated by applicable state (e.g. coronal polish, x-ray exposure, ultrasonic scaling for orthodontic procedures, pit and fissure sealant application, etc.).
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret documents such as business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedure manuals, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and government regulations. Ability to communicate effectively and present information, both verbally and in writing, to patients and co-workers.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, verbal, or diagram form.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, decimals and percentages. Ability to compute rates, ratios, and percentages.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk, hear, and smell. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, and sit. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to fumes, airborne particles, and toxic or caustic chemicals. The employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Pacific Dental Services is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, sex, ancestry, citizenship status, mental or physical disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, veteran status, or military status.