EaglePicher Technologies, LLC
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Mechanical Process Engineer
at EaglePicher Technologies, LLC
MECHANICAL PROCESS ENGINEER
RDS - Research and Development
Eagle Picher is looking for a hands-on,
About the Position
The primary purpose of this position is to develop, improve and help scale-up the processes necessary to assemble our primary and secondary cells. You will be responsible for the development of tooling and fixtures for prototype cells and assist with the qualification of new designs and processes. You will be a key contributor in the product development team, working closely with our R&D scientists and engineers as well as our manufacturing engineers to drive new projects to completion. If you are innovative, self-motivated, engaged, enjoy challenging projects and like working collaboratively with others to deliver superior products, this is the opportunity for you.
Your core responsibilities will be to:
· Develop and drive to completion, assembly processes for individual components, sub-assemblies and the entire cell for new and existing products. This includes novel metal joining, efficient small parts assembly as well as selected small scale automation as appropriate to meet performance, timeline and cost targets
· Develop fixtures, tooling, mock-ups as well as lab scale equipment/processes for high quality prototypes using approaches that will produce high yield product when transitioned to production
· Be accountable for ensuring manufacturability and scale-up of the Development processes, working closely with manufacturing engineers as well as external partners/suppliers for the best possible solutions to meet project needs
· Improve existing processes and equipment, trouble-shoot and problem-solve as needed. Work closely with scientists and engineers to evaluate and identify areas for improvement from a process, complexity or cost perspective
· Be up-to-date with the state of the art for manual or semi-automated assembly of small battery electrodes (winding, stacking, sealing, pressing) and related processes to help raise the bar internally to be the best at what we do at a competitive price for our customers
· Work with laser, resistance and ultrasonic welding equipment. Develop Process recipes and welding processes, define process windows. Perform metallographic cross sectioning, polishing and etching of samples for optical microscopy and investigation and analysis of weld joints.
To succeed in this position, you must meet the following requirements:
· Have a Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or Mechanical Technology with 3-5 years of experience developing primary or rechargeable batteries in an industrial/commercial environment. Alternatively, a Master’s degree in the above fields with a minimum of 1 year of relevant experience.
· Experience in a R&D, Product Development or Process Development environment developing and manufacturing batteries for external customers
· Good documentation skills and experience writing high quality operating procedures
· Good understanding of the interaction between chemistry, materials and processes and their impact on product performance and safety
· Demonstrated problem-solving, statistical analysis and data based decision making skills
· Demonstrated ability to build relationships across an organization and work collaboratively for the success of the business
· U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
In addition to meeting the basic requirements, the most successful candidate will also meet the following preferences:
· Self-starter with a track record of delivering above and beyond expectations who can recognize when and where to get help as needed.
· Strong organization, written and verbal communication skills
· Training, experience and capability in statistical process control, analysis, Minitab
· Experience with process validation, defining and testing process windows
· Experience with reading mechanical drawings, tolerance stack-up analysis, GD&T
· Experience with welding, programming laser welders, programming languages, metallographic equipment
· Familiarity with materials selection/compatibility, MSDS
· Proficient use of Word, Excel, Project and Powerpoint
· Experience with Solidworks/PDM, Inventor/Vault, Visio is a plus
· Experience with Machine Vision systems; Keyence and Cognex is a plus
· Medical device industry experience and familiarity with ISO 13485 is a plus
· A can-do attitude, passion to succeed and an ability and willingness to wear multiple hats as needed
· Willingness and ability to travel at least 20% of the time as needed