Columbia Public Schools
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Columbia Public Schools
Schedule / Grade
The Columbia Public School District is fortunate enough to have our own 40 foot planetarium located inside Rock Bridge High School. Students, teachers, and citizens from both inside and outside our school district visit to learn about their place in our Universe. We inspire people of all ages to explore and understand the world around them, to discover and enjoy science and understand its relevance to their own lives. We are recruiting for a Planetarium Supervisor to deliver high quality planetarium experiences for a variety of audiences in our full-dome, digital planetarium.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- To develop and maintain a broad knowledge of astronomy research and news to ensure the planetarium show content is engaging and relevant to student's lives.
- To engage visitors and communicate astronomical concepts accurately within the Planetarium.
- To deliver planetarium shows and other astronomy activities to a consistent 5* standard for public, education and community groups of all ages.
- To work with the Rock Bridge High School Principal and District Science Coordinator to fulfill the mission of building curiosity in science.
- To participate in training and receive/give peer evaluation as required.
- To carry out individual projects, tasks, and programs such as occasional weekend or evening special events.
Reports To: Coordinator of Science and Building Principal
Minimum Requirements: Familiarity with computers, both PC and Mac
- Ability to troubleshoot technical problems
- Open to learning software (Spice, After Effects, Illustrator, Photoshop)
- Comfortable with public speaking
- Knowledge of basic astronomical concepts and bright constellations (and the myths behind them)
Preferred:Bachelor’s degree; comfortable around computers (both PC and Mac); ability to troubleshoot technical problems; open to learning software (Spice, Adobe Creative Suite, Blender, etc.); comfortable with public speaking; knowledge of basic astronomy concepts
All employees of the District are expected to adhere to the policies and regulations of the Board of Education, maintain appropriate certification and competencies necessary for the position, and demonstrate the values of the district at all times. For information on polices, regulations and values, visit http://www.cpsk12.org.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Language: Read and interpret documents such as instructions and procedure manuals; Write reports and correspondence; Answer telephone calls and direct callers to appropriate personnel; Demonstrate strong listening skills; Demonstrate strong written and oral communication skills; Present information to teachers, staff, other administrators, families, and the Board of Education; Keep information confidential when required by law, policy, or the nature of a situation
Reasoning: Interpret instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form; Solve problems when such problems have a variety of concrete variables. Manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
Technology: Demonstrate strong computer skills including word processing, and working with spreadsheets and databases; understand and submit online reports; Learn new systems and software.
Other Skills: Demonstrate interpersonal skills and ability to work closely with a variety of staff members; Safeguard confidential information. Be a self-starter and work independently.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this position, an employee is regularly required to move about, talk, and hear; Close vision ability to look at a computer screen for long periods of time is required.
Attendance: Consistent and regular attendance is an essential function of this position.
Conditions and Environment: The work environment is consistent with a typical office environment; at times, many staff members may be present and speaking simultaneously.
Prospective and current employees with disabilities are encouraged to contact human resources to discuss reasonable accommodations to perform the essential job functions.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Job Contact Information
Friday, September 21, 2018 12:00 AM
(Central Standard Time)