American Heart Association
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Grassroots Advocacy Consultant
at American Heart Association
Are you ready to join an organization where you can make an extraordinary impact every day?
Imagine all Americans enjoying ideal cardiovascular health free of heart disease and stroke. At the American Heart Association and American Stroke Association, we get to work toward that goal every day. Is it easy? No. Is it worthwhile? Absolutely.
This is satisfying and challenging work that makes a real difference in people's lives. We are where you can achieve professional growth with personal fulfillment. We are where you can connect people to making a lifesaving impact. We are where you can partner with individuals, schools, lawmakers, healthcare providers and others to ensure everyone has access to healthier lifestyle choices and proper healthcare. The American Heart Association is where you can make an extraordinary impact.
The American Heart Association (AHA) has an excellent opportunity for a Grassroots Advocacy Consultant in our National Center office located in Dallas, TX (Remote/Home Based is acceptable).
In this role, you will be responsible for providing guidance in the development of grassroots advocacy and training to AHA field staff and volunteers in order to support and expand the AHA’s grassroots organizing capacity. Additional responsibilities include recruiting, engaging and retaining local or state level program advocates, collaborating and facilitating advocacy campaigns with national and affiliate AHA volunteer leadership, senior management, government and other not-for-profit organizations with whom the AHA might partner or network.
Essential Job Duties:
- Provides effective, strategic grassroots consultation to affiliates and states by providing guidance, direction and training to advocacy and other affiliate staff, as well as volunteer leadership, in order to develop, implement, and evaluate overall grassroots strategies.
- Acts as liaison with the State Advocacy team to identify specific affiliate needs and offer ongoing grassroots consulting.
- Acts as liaison with national integrated issue teams to assist with grassroots capacity building in key legislative districts.
- Assists affiliates and states in the development and implementation of the grassroots portion of affiliate and state based advocacy campaign plans. Offers guidance on grassroots plan development, implementation, and evaluation.
- Participates in the development of grassroots goals and performance objectives each fiscal year through a collaborative process with appropriate National Center and Affiliate staff. Provides strategic and technical assistance as well as support to affiliates and states to help them achieve goals and implement best practices.
- Develops, adapts and/or shares materials to support grassroots advocacy activities.
- Creates and implements capacity building programs. Captains field staff in executing a volunteer engagement model to build the skill set of advocates. Oversees implementation, program evaluation, and sharing best practices.
- Provides leadership and guidance in offering field resources and best practices with a specific focus on use of the online advocacy system as well as overall communications plans.
- Participates in training and related activities/events as appropriate including, Advocacy Advisory Team meetings, Advocacy Coordinating Committee meetings, You’re the Cure University, and Federal Lobby Days, etc. Participates in the Office of Federal and State Advocacy’s planning processes as well as other strategic team’s planning processes.
Want to help get your resume to the top? Take a look at the experience we require:
- Bachelor Degree in Public Health, Politics, Communications, Marketing or related area.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in Grassroots Advocacy experience including political organizing, training and facilitation skills, and general volunteer management.
- Must have a proven track record of achieving results in developing and implementing a successful grassroots program.
- You will need the ability to initiate, manage, facilitate and provide support for field advocacy planning.
- Requires strong oral and written communication skills as well as knowledge of the principles of field consultation.
- Must be able to conceptualize and reason through problems and provide workable solutions.
- Must be able to travel overnight approx. 35% of the time.
So, are you ready to work for the largest voluntary health organization dedicated to fighting heart disease, stroke and other cardiovascular diseases? Click on “New Resume” (or “Existing Resume” if you have previously applied to AHA positions) to submit your online application. Only those candidates deemed most qualified by the hiring manager will be contacted to interview.
At American Heart Association | American Stroke Association, diversity, inclusion and equal opportunity applies to both our workforce and the communities we serve as it relates to heart health and stroke prevention.
This position not a match with your skills? Click here to see other opportunities with the American Heart Association
Be sure to follow us on Twitter to see what it is like to work for the American Heart Association and why so many people enjoy #TheAHALife